This Autumn-inspired Chocolate Apple Cake is beautifully moist and full of earthy flavors. The sweetness of apples mingles nicely with dark chocolate, quinoa, brown rice and cinnamon, creating a beautiful harvest-time baked treat.
For more of Hana's wholesome, seasonal, plant based and gluten free recipes, visit Nirvana Cakery.
2 apples, sliced into small pieces
100g Amore di Mona bulk chocolate (2 cubes)
60g quinoa flour (1/2 cup)
140g brown rice flour (1 cup)
30g arrowroot (1/4 cup)
75g rapadura sugar (1/2 cup)
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sea salt
180ml apple sauce (3/4 cup)
2tbsp ground flaxseed + 6tbsp water
80ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
2tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan)
2. Line 10" x 4½" loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Mix 2tbsp of ground flaxseed with water and set aside to thicken.
4. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples into small pieces and set aside.
5. Chop the chocolate and set aside.
6. In a large bowl whisk together quinoa flour, brown rice flour, arrowroot, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl whisk together flax eggs, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in 120ml (1/2 cup) of apple sauce.
8. Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix until well combined. If the mix is too thick add the leftover apple sauce. You want to achieve a muffin like consistency. Depending on the consistency of the flour you've used you might need less or more.
9. Gently fold in apples and chocolate pieces.
10. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
11. Bake for about 40-45min or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
12. Remove from the oven once ready and leave to cool down in the tin.
13. Gently melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and leave to cool down. Pour over to coat the cake, top with chocolate shavings.
To make the apple sauce:
Peel, core and chop 3 apples
Place into a small pot, cover with water and boil for about 15 minutes until soft.
Leave to cool down, strain and blend until smooth.
Store in fridge until ready to use.